Sunday, February 22, 2009

Our Children are our future and yet they keep falling through the cracks in our school systems

As a parent and someone who cares about the future of the human race, why is it that any cuts due to government spending, do our schools suffer the most? Teachers spend their own money for school supplies (well the ones who care)and never get any of that back. I am on a good subject here but where the hell do I really start...

This is nothing new as this has been snowballing for years and it is just getting worse. Teachers are leaving for better paying jobs, teachers are getting laid off due to budgets and class room sizes are getting bigger. My daughter is a prime example of our schools today. In fact just to make her story short I pulled her out of school as she is now 18 and would not have graduated anyway because she was short on credits all due to faculty not following up and her repeating classes that she did not need to repeat. She is now enrolled for her GED and working on her Associates degree at the same time. Sure she is to blame somewhat but the fact remains that if her counselors were on top of the situation this would not have happened. And sure do to budget cuts there are fewer counselors for the number of students and their plates are quite full.

Let's see... if our state reps were to take a cut in pay or get paid for what they actually do instead of what they don't do there would be some extra money there for the schools. If the lottery system was used for what it was actually attended for then the money would be there as well. If our government didn't spend 8 billion dollars on a war that...Well don't get me started on that one. The money is there but our state and federal reps don't know how to be creative. Here in California as I am sure most of you see the news our elected officials have not been able to balance the budget in the last 8 months and just the other day California laid off over 20,000 state workers and stopped thousands of construction projects that will affect many more people and yet our officials are still getting paid. For What? They all took their holiday break in December during the crisis as if everything is just fine. Our Governor should have TERMINATED all pay months ago until they came up with a budget plan. I mean he was the TERMINATOR after all...

Back to the schools something has to be done here. I mean this is the future of our country, the world, the human race. This besides police and fire should be at the top of the list.

I know I am not a writer and my grammar sucks and my punctuation needs work but these are my words and if anyone has any input on how we should take this problem in our own hands and make things happen, well let's hear it. We need to make sure our future, our children's future is a bright and fulfilling one and an education is the utmost important gift we can give them.

2 comments:

  1. Hello:) Found you via Single Parent Dad...

    This blog post so clearly outlines why I am a homeschool parent. I actually have a background in elementary education too! I decided to homeschool because I wanted my children to be love learning. I wanted to them to experience learning...not just sit and scribble down some notes from a teacher. We have been enormously successful. My son is well above average in all subjects. My kids love to read and love to learn. He has lots of friends. (the whole socialization thing about homeschool is a big fat myth! Homeschool kids have fabulous friendships!)

    You are absolutely right about education being the best gift we can give our young ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bee and Rose - That is truly awesome that you have the time and resources to do that. Not to mention it's working for you and your children.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete