Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hell Has Frozen Over!!!

When my son was born on July 15,1992 he was eight weeks early and was no bigger than my hand, I have big hands. he reached from my finger tips to the middle of my wrist. He weight a whopping 3.2 lbs. He had major surgery for a TE Fistula and had complications with his heart and lungs.

This being one of the happiest days of my life was also the worst day of my life. He stayed in the hospital for 2 months and I by his side every hour that I could. I remember the nurses trying to insert IVs into him as his veins were so tiny and they had a hard time, as he cried I felt so helpless.

When he came home not a week went by before he stopped breathing on us, we pulled the car over, I got out and his mother ran into the store called 911 and I had him breathing and crying in my arms by the time the paramedics got there. He was rushed back to the hospital and had another surgery this time for a Tracheotomy

The doctors at that time informed us that Michael may be deaf or hearing impaired due to all the surgical procedures and that complications in the ear, nose and throat as they all tie together. It was sometime before we or by this time me could tell due to the fact his speech was delayed due to the tracheotomy. (it was during this period my kids mother left us alone and I was now on my own, no family, truly on my own).

Keeping that in mind the hearing thing, I would once in a while clap my hands to no response so as soon as the trac was removed I started his hearing tests and he was fitted for hearing aids before he was 2 years old.

By now you are probably wondering where does the "Hell Has Frozen Over" or what the hell does that have to do with this blog so far...I'm getting to that.

Michael was always small, very small for his age and I for one had hope that he would grow up to be of normal size but when he would ask me all the time if he would ever be taller than me, I told him "maybe who knows" but to myself would say "When Hell Freezes Over".

Well dammit that day has come and I am 5'6" and three quarters he is now almost
5'9". The last two years he has grown two and a half feet, easy. I can't keep the little bugger in cloths or shoes, I gave up so when he grows out of his shoes he can wear the boxes now until I can get him another pair. and I make shorts out of his high water pants. He is a bean pole, he has grown so fast his weight has not caught up to him yet. He eats us out of house and home when he comes home on the weekends.(he goes to school during the week at the California School for the Deaf in Fremont, CA and stays in the dorm) He towers over his sister now.



I am glad I never told him he would never be taller then me. I never tell my kids they can't do anything. I do tell them if they think it (postulate)and dream it they can do it... He always told me he would be taller than me and well he is and "Hell Has Frozen Over!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment